Subscribe by email

Monday, July 14, 2014

Wet Felted Cuffs



Cuffs Are Great Technique Practice
The last couple of days it's been 100 plus temperature. Not exactly good felting weather. But with free time I worked on these cuffs as practice doing a couple textural 3d techniques. The green one I embedded felted balls into the base then cut away the top layer to reveal them. The green base was free form felted.
The next cuff I felted over a resist. I made the first layer of one side teal colored. Then did the other layers brown. I lightly felted the piece and then made 3 vertical slits on one side to reveal the teal inside and cut open one end to remove the resist. I continued to felt and full the piece keeping the flaps the slits created from felting closed. I rolled it a bit trying to shrink the length but only the width seemed to shrink. So I threw it in the dryer. I still didn't shrink much more. I ended up cutting about an inch off one end. No harm done. I added some beads, not the best, but all I had. I cut a button hole and added a button closure. Also on the top layer I added a strip of white roving and two borders of teal boucle hand dyed yarn.